Monday, August 15, 2011

Coupon Me. Seriously.

It has been a few months since I became a budget-watching mama and it has been an eye-opener! Outside of our mortgage we spent more money on food than I ever imagined.  We apparently are some very hungry people.  Between the grocery shopping and take-out we were spending a ridiculous amount on calories.  The very same calories I run to burn off!  So, I decided to welcome coupons into our lives. Who am I?  If someone had told me a two years ago that I would be excited to cut coupons, I would have told them that they were insane! But I must say, there is some  thrill to the hunt of the discount.  And we could really use the money we are saving,

The web is an amazing place to learn about nearly anything and couponing is no exception.  Two sites were instrumental in helping me to learn how to "coupon".  MoneySavingMom and KrazyCouponLady.
I know you are thinking, I only eat fresh, there are no coupons for anything that I need.  I don't eat processed.  You know why I know what you are thinking?  Because that is EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!
But on Friday I bought 9 lbs of 93/7 Jennie O ground turkey for $5.  Yup, $5. And today, when I did our weekly grocery run, I saved $76.80.
And on Monday I am hitting CVS with some amazing deals.  Diapers for $3.99?  Yes please!!!! $10 gas coupon for spending $30 on things I actually need that I have coupons for, and I have $10 in the fabulous extracare bucks.  Stayed tuned for the results.

Have you had luck with couponing?

*Do you get the Sunday paper?  Do you coupon? Can you spare your Sunday inserts?  I am happy to pick them up!


2 comments:

  1. I think I could be a crazy coupon person. We primarily shop at Trader Joe's and they don't DO coupons. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trader Joe's is the greatest! Rumor has it that we will be getting one near us soon. I will be trying my darndest not to "pop in"! More affordable than Whole PayCheck (Foods) but way more than the coupon prices for which I am learning to hunt!
    BTW couponing is actually as thrilling as finding a classic Birkin at a thrift store for $50!

    ReplyDelete